Guess who's avocados finally ripened? The warmer weather recently has been inspiring me to eat healthier and eat more seasonally. I have been experimenting with rice and quinoa bowls over the last few weeks and I think I'm finally happy with the results. This recipe is super simple and you can prepare all of it ahead of time and just toss it into a bowl when you are ready to eat. The quinoa is full of protein and fiber to keep you full longer and it's a good source of iron which most of us tend to lack. The best part about this recipe is that it is completely customizable to anyone's taste.
Now, let's get into the recipe.
(For 2 servings)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water or broth (chicken/vegetable)
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, julienned
1/2 avocado, diced
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
2 tsp Sriracha (optional)
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella (optional)
1. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and set it aside.
2. In a small sauce pan, bring either water or broth to a gentle boil (I used chicken broth because it adds more flavour to the grain).
3. Add quinoa and olive oil to the broth and reduce heat to low. Allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
4. Prep the vegetables as the quinoa cooks.
5. After 20 minutes, raise the heat to medium high and cook the quinoa for an additional five minutes.
6. To serve, divide the qunioa between two bowls and top with grape tomatoes, carrot, and avocado.
7. For a hint of something special add sriracha (BBQ sauce or ranch dressing work well too!) and some shredded cheese.
This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes so you have no excuse to not make it! You can change it up by adding some corn, brocolli, herbs, kale, and shredded chicken. And if you don't have quinoa readily available, you can always substitute with brown rice.
If you try this out let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
All the best,