As Spring comes closer, I enjoy starting my day with a delicious and refreshing smoothie that is chock full of vitamins and minerals and keeps me full till lunchtime. This is just one of the recipes I've been trying out in my kitchen, but it is definitely my favorite! The best part about having a smoothie for breakfast is that you can prep all the ingredients the night before and simply toss it all into a blender in the morning (hello extra 10 minutes of sleep!).
I've made this smoothie vegan-friendly so that everyone can enjoy it! And if you aren't convinced yet, the smoothie also does not have any added sugar because the dates are naturally very sweet and they provide a great flavour.
Let's get started with what you will need to make one large serving.
1/2 Frozen Banana
4-5 Dates (pitted)
1 1/4 Cups Almond Milk
Dash of Cinnamon (optional)
Dash of Cocoa Powder (optional)
1. Prepare the dates and banana the night before by pitting the dates and freezing half a peeled banana.
2. Place the pitted dates and frozen banana into a blender and add 1/4 cup of almond milk. The one I am using has a touch of vanilla, if yours does not, add a drop of vanilla extract.
3. Blend well. You do not want to have any date chunks as they will settle to the bottom.
4. Add the remaining almond milk to the blender and blend for another 30 seconds. Although it may seem tedious, blending in two rounds helps make the smoothie much smoother.
5. Pour your smoothie into a glass of your choosing and sprinkle the top with cinnamon or cocoa powder.