These cupcakes may have a complicated name, but they also have a super simple recipe. I was inspired to create these after I had a Mexican hot chocolate milkshake during a recent trip to New York City. I really enjoyed the sweet chocolate flavour followed by a little spicy kick! However, I used the spices in a more subtle manner so the cupcakes have a hint of something different that is hard to pin point.
I took a bit of a shortcut making these and used a boxed cake mix as a base, but feel free to go all out and make the cupcakes from scratch. And the frosting was also super simple as it's a variation on melted chocolate.
Makes 24 cupcakes
1 boxed chocolate cake mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cayenne (or other chili)
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
1. Prepare cupcakes according to package instructions and add cinnamon and cayenne to the mix.
2. After cupcakes have cooled, set up a double boiler by bring some water in a small saucepan to a simmer and placing a bowl on top.
3. Add chocolate and butter to the bowl, melt until smooth. Then add in spices and stir to combine.
4. Dip the cupcakes into the melted chocolate one at a time.
5. Place all the cupcakes in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden before serving.
If you make these cupcakes, please comment below with your thoughts.
All the best,