What better way to start off your day (and year!) than with a delicious and healthy breakfast?
In general my recipes are not the healthiest, but this one is filled with essential nutrients that are sure to help kickstart your day in the perfect way. But more about that later, here is what you'll need for two.
Ingredients (2 servings):
2 Whole Wheat English Muffins
2 tbsp White Vinegar
Salt + Pepper
Dash of Paprika
1. Set water to boil in a small pot.
2. Toast the English muffins either in a toaster or on the stove top in a pan.
3. Spread about a quarter of the avocado on the each half English muffin.
4. Crack the eggs and separate them into four small bowl.
5. Once the water comes to a light boil, add the vinegar. Use a spoon to create a whirlpool. Add one egg into the center of the whirlpool.
6. Allow the egg to cook for 3 minutes (add another minute or two if you like your yolks firmer).
7. Use a slotted spoon to remove egg from pot and place on a paper towel to drain
8. Repeat with all the other eggs.
9. Place an egg on each English muffin.
10. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Serve.
Now lets get into the benefits of this yummy recipe. It has a good balance of protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats to keep you full until lunch time (no more mid-morning snacks). The avocado has polyunsaturated fatty acids such as omega 3 and these help to reduce cholesterol and improve both brain and heart health. Eggs are a great source of protein and healthy fats. By skipping the hollandaise sauce you reduce the intake of saturated fats and empty calories because the main ingredient in hollandaise sauce is butter! Lastly, the whole wheat muffin will keep you fuller, longer because whole wheat takes longer to digest. It also contains B vitamins and many minerals which are necessary for a healthy body.
Hope that all of you have a wonderful new year and I can't wait to continue blogging into 2015 and beyond!
All the best,